This region

Catchment-wide collaboration workshops for land health and biodiversity are being held in October 2022

More Details

Regional overview

The Goulburn Broken Catchment is situated in Victoria and is part of the Murray-Darling Basin. It encompasses the valleys of the Goulburn and Broken rivers and part of the Murray Valley, covering 10.5% of Victoria. The catchment stretches from close to the outskirts of greater Melbourne in the south, to the Murray River in the north, Mt Buller to the east and the Mt Camel Range to the west (Figure 7).

The catchment includes two Registered Aboriginal Parties representing the interests of Traditional Owners for their respective Country: Yorta Yorta Nation Aboriginal Corporation (YYNAC) and Taungurung Land and Waters Council (TLaWC). This includes active involvement in NRM through joint management agreements and legislative rights to public land. Click here to read more about YYNAC and TLaWC.

Land use is diverse across the catchment, with approximately 63% managed for agricultural production and the remaining 37% a mix of nature conservation, forestry, rural residential and urban (ABARES 2018). The catchment’s natural resources, mild climate, proximity to Melbourne and major transport routes support major agricultural, forestry and tourism industries. They also make it an attractive place to live for the expanding rural lifestyle population.

Map of the Goulburn Broken Catchment showcasing some of the unique natural features including:
Barmah - internationally significant wetland and red gum forest
Winton Wetlands - the largest wetland restoration project in the southern hemisphere.
Alpine Resorts - Mt Buller and Mt Stirling resorts support significant forest communities and alpine meadows.
Southern Forests - Pristine bushland and headwaters for the Goulburn River.
Goulburn River - Victoria's longest river flows from the Great Dividing Range to the Murray River.
Box Ironbark Woodland - Home to threatened woodland bird community.

Figure 7: Map of the Goulburn Broken Catchment showcasing some of the unique natural features

Click on the tabs below to discover more about the catchment’s natural resources and the factors influencing their condition and management.

Show your support

Pledge your support for the Goulburn Broken Regional Catchment Strategy and its implementation.